Best Guide for HP Officejet Pro X551DW Setup
- Built-in wireless connection helps to print and share with notebooks or PCs
- Use Wired connection for connecting the printers securely
- Use Easy Mobile printing option to print from your smartphone from any location
- Make use of a high-capacity input tray to save time .
- Save paper and time with the help of the Automatic Duplex printing option
- Touchscreen control panel display helps for easy navigation through the options
- Print up to 42 papers in a minute using this printer. This is twice the print-speed compared to a normal inkjet printer.
- Based on the work group environment, the printer is mainly designed for high volume printing up to 4200 pages per month.
- Use the printer on different platforms such as the Windows and Mac operating systems.
- Install your USB drive in the slot to print straight from the flash drives without accessing the systems.
- Save Energy up to 50% using the Energy Star certified printer. It is efficient and versatile printer useful for large offices.
HP Officejet Pro x551dw Wireless Setup
- Before establishing a wireless connection, gather the required details regarding the setup process. The details include network name and password.
- Switch on all the devices. Place the printer and the system within the range of the wireless router. Do not connect the USB cable in the middle of the process.
- All the data required for the process are case-sensitive. Try to type them without any mistakes. These mistakes can lead to connection issues.
- Select the Wireless Setup Wizard under the Network Settings icon. A list of network names gets displayed. Choose your network name from it.
- Type the password, if prompted. To check the connection status, look at the wireless light on the control panel of the printer. The stable light indicates connected status.
- The Connection process for both the Windows and Mac is same. Just, the driver download process varies. Gather the network name and password for the process.
- Turn on all the devices. Place the network capable systems with the range of the wireless router. Do not make an attempt to connect the USB cable in the middle of the process.
- Keep a note that the credentials are case-sensitive. Any error in them can result in the connection issues.
- Use Wireless Setup Wizard to list out the network names in the screen. Select the network name from it. Type the password if urged.
- Once the connection is established, the wireless light on the control panel of the printer is stable. Install the driver to complete the process. Add the printer’s name to the list.
How to Refill Ink Cartridges?
Refilling the ink cartridges is a messy job. Ensure that you inject the ink carefully into the hole.Clean the excess ink on the cartridge.
In case you miss out to do the above steps, it may result in poor print quality such as blurred text, blank spots and ink smears.
Gather compatible ink cartridges, a piece of paper, needle and a syringe. Take out the refillable ink cartridge out of its slot.
Place it on a piece of white paper. Check out the tri-color cartridge. Examine the color in the various chambers of the cartridge.
Peel off the label on top. Check out the depleted ink in it. You can examine it by piercing the needle into the hole.
Based on the cartridge size, amount of ink inserting into it varies. For XL cartridge, fill up to 8 ml of black ink.
For normal cartridge, fill 2.5 ml of ink into it. Locate the refill hone on the top of the cartridge.
For a tri-color cartridge, you can find yellow in the top middle, magenta in the middle left and cyan in the middle right.
Pierce the needle into the hole until the ink starts injecting. While inserting, ensure that there is no air bubbles in it.
These air bubbles can block the ink from flowing properly to the printhead once reinstalled. Once the ink starts to overflow, take out the syringe.
Stick the refill hole with clear tape. Make use of paper towels and a small amount of water to clean the excess ink in it.
Now, reinstall the ink cartridge into their respective slots. Use an automated tool to clean the print head to wipe off the dried ink .
In case you add more ink and then reinstall it, the printer may not detect the ink. It shows low ink message on the control panel.
To overcome the issue, reset the ink cartridge. Cover the contacts with a clear tape and then reinstall it back to its respective slot.
Try to print a test page. Take out the cartridge and then remove the tape. After that, insert the cartridge back to the printer.
Now, the printer recognized the refilled cartridge. Make an attempt to print from the printer to ensure that the cartridge is properly installed.
Driver and Manual Download
- To begin the download process, switch on all the devices. Based on the operating system version and printer model, you can choose a suitable driver.
- In certain cases, the file format can be in .zip. Uncompress it to get the individual file in the folder.
- In case your choice is a full feature driver, check out the file size and memory space of your Windows system.
- A large file size makes your system operation slow and also takes a long time to get downloaded.
- Make sure that the internet connection is stable. In case the connection drops, the download process gets stopped abruptly.
- To get the file downloaded, call our toll-free number to get the instructions regarding the download process.
- Turn on all the devices to start the download process. Download the .dmg file or .zip file to start the installation.
- When you examine the printer model and version of the operating system, it should be compatible with the driver.
- If it is incompatible, the driver stops working after a period of time. It is suggested to use the updated printer driver.
- It contains all the latest features of the printer. When your printer experience an issue, the first notification that appears in the screen is to update the driver.
- At the time of downloading, it is necessary to have a stable internet connection. When the download fails, it is necessary to start the process again.
- To get a suitable printer driver, get back to us on our toll-free number. Our technical team will provide the instructions to download the driver.
STEP : There are several reasons for a printer issue. When you take the printer out of the cardbox, place it on a flat surface.
STEP : Initially, install the Setup cartridge that is available in the shipment box. When installing a new one, use the compatible cartridge for the printer.
STEP : Feed plain paper into the input tray without exceeding the mark on it. Do not use the papers that are crumbled or ripped.
STEP : When you stack the paper, align it with the help of the paper width guides. Ensure that aligning do not bend the edges of the paper.
STEP : At times, try to connect the power cable to a power adapter. Do the connection straight to the electrical socket to avoid power failure.
STEP : Installing the upgraded driver prevents the connection issues. The driver is the means of communication between the printer and system.
STEP : When there is no proper communication, an error message appears on the control panel of the printer.
STEP : To avoid this issue, upgrade the driver when the updates regarding the driver is released. Also, choose a suitable driver at the time of the installation.
STEP : One of the best solutions for every printer issue is to reset or reboot the printer. In most cases, the process fixes the issue.
strong>STEP 1: You experience a printhead issue when there is any dust or debris accumulated around it.
strong>STEP 2: With the help of a damp cloth, you can clean it. In certain cases, use an automated tool to clean it. On the control panel display, run the printhead cleaning.
strong>STEP 3: For an HP Print Assistant software, run the cleaning test under the Maintain your printer section.
strong>STEP 4: For a Windows system, use HP Solution Center to run the cleaning test located under the Printer Toolbox menu.
strong>STEP 5: For a Mac operating system, select the clean the printhead icon located under the Information and Support panel.
strong>STEP 6: After doing the above step, you are not able to fix the issue. Examine whether there is any issue in the printhead.
strong>STEP 7: Replacing the printhead can be done to fix the issue. In case the printer is under warranty period, you can replace it easily.
strong>STEP 8: In case the issue still exists, call our technical support team to solve the issue.
HP Officejet Pro x551dw Wireless setup
Wired Network Setup for Windows and Mac device
Configure a network connected printer with an Ethernet cable by installing the printer driver on a Windows and Mac system.
Step 1 : Prep for the driver installation and network connection
- Ensure that you have a network router, switch or hub with available Ethernet ports.
- Ensure that your system is linked to the router, switch or hub, in case it is not already linked.
- Acquire an Ethernet cable. Do not use a Standard telephone cable.
Step 2 : Link the printer to the network
- Power on the 123.HP.Com Ojprox551dw printer.
- Take away any Plug or protective cover from the Ethernet port on the printer.
- Plug the Ethernet cable to your printer port, and then link the remaining end of the Ethernet cable to an available port on the network router, switch or hub.
Step 3 : Software installation
Ensure that you install the 123.HP.Com Ojprox551dw printer driver to complete the network printer setup.
- Visit our website, enter your printer model, and then make use of the instructions to download the driver. According to the printer model, the guided driver installation application- HP Easy Start might download.
- In case a driver or HP Easy Start downloads, make use of the instructions to open the downloaded file to start the setup. When it is instructed to select a connection type, click Wired Network.
- In case the download fails or your printer is not listed, follow the procedures to install a driver from our website.
- Go to our website and then select Software and Driver Downloads, enter your corresponding printer model if required, and then verify that the operating system version selected is proper.
- Windows: Under Driver-Printer Installation Software, select Download next to the full feature printer driver, and then follow the instructions to use the guided HP Download and Install Assistant, or click Download only to store and then run the printer driver file from the system.
- Mac device: Under Driver Printer Installation Software, select Download next to HP Easy Start or the full feature printer driver, based on the option that displays, and then open the HP Easy Start file or the HP .dmg file in the Downloads folder to start the installation.
- Windows: When it is instructed by the installer to select a printer connection option, click Wired Network to continue with and complete the configuration.
- Windows: Try to Print, Scan or Fax, according to your printer functionality.
- Mac: When it is instructed by the installer, select Add Printer to create a print queue on the Mac device.
- The Add window gets displayed.
- Pick the name of your printer, select the Use or Print Using Click the name of your printer in the pop-up menu, and then select Add.
- Go back to the installer to complete the installation process.
For more details, ring us on our toll-free 1-888-249-8496 to resolve your issues and queries.
Make use of your 123.HP.Com Ojprox551dw printer to produce copies of printed document and images.
Step 1 : Place the original document or images
Insert the original document in the Automatic Document Feeder tray or on the scanner glass. Make use of the scanner to copy original images or to produce a two-sided copy.
- Switch on your HP Officejet Pro x551dw Setup printer.
- Insert the original document or images:
- Using Automatic Document Feeder: Insert the document into the document feeder tray with the print side facing upward and such that the top edge goes into the tray first. Modify the width guides to fit the documents. The control panel displays the original loaded document.
- Make use of the Scanner glass: Position the original document with the print side downward on the scanner glass, place it according to the engraved guides around the glass, and then shut the scanner lid.
Step 2 : Procedure to Copy the document or images
You can use the Copy menu on the control panel of your 123.HP.Com Ojprox551dw printer to choose copy settings and then start the copy job.
- From the control panel of your printer, click
- Click Document, ID Card or Photo.
- Choose the desired number of copies, or enter the required number of copies.
- Under Tray Selection, choose the tray and paper size.
- From two-sided, you can choose one or two-sided copying.
- Click Touch to Preview, and then click the preview to edit the photo, from the Edit screen, you can crop, resize and modify the contrast of the copy.
- Click Done to go back to the copy screen.
- Click the Settings icon, and then mention the desired advanced copy settings:
- Click Lighter or Darker, swipe the button to choose the darkness level, and then click Done.
- Click Quality to choose a specific quality level. Draft quickly makes a copy with less ink. Normal gives standard copy quality. Best offers a copy with finer details.
- Resize: Click Resize, and then click a preset. You can also click Custom, input a value between 25 and 400 percent to decrease or increase the copy, and then click Done.
- Click Enhancements to select Print or photo-specific
- Click Binding Margin, and then click On to provide pages with margin shifted to the left side of the page.
- Save advanced settings: Click Save Current Settings to retain the advanced settings after this copy job, and then click Save.
- Click Back to go back to the Copy
- Click Start Black, Start Color or Start Copy to start the copy job.
- If you recognize any issue, consult our technical team to clarify your issues and problems.
Make use of the HP Scan and Capture Application
You can capture essential documents or images from your HP Ojpro x551dw printer or the system camera using HP Scan and Capture, a free application for Windows 8 and 10 which is available from the Microsoft Store.
Setup and Scan with HP Scan and Capture
Install the HP Scan and Capture app from the Microsoft Store.
- Power on your printer.
- Position the file you want to scan on the scanner glass or place it into the automatic document feeder (ADF), if your printer has one.
- Look for Scan and Capture under Windows, and then select HP Scan and Capture in the available list of results.
- Choose the menu icon, and then click Settings.
- Choose Select Device, and then select your corresponding printer.
- Select Document Scan Options or Photo Scan Options to modify any settings, and then select the back arrow.
- Tap outside the Settings menu, and then select Capture Documents or Capture Photos.
- Once you are done with the Scan, select the Save
The Save As window opens to store the file in the corresponding folder.
Scan using HP Scan software
You can start scan jobs from the system, modify scan quality settings, save the scan as PDF files and more. Two versions of HP Scan are available, based on when your printer was released. Both offer similar functionality and scanning support.
- Position the file on the scanner glass, in the document feeder slot, or in the automatic document feeder, based on the printer type and features.
- Find your printer model.
- In case your printer is displayed, tap on the printer name in the list of results.
- In case the printer does not display, visit our website and select Software and Driver Downloads, and then enter your corresponding printer model number. Under the Driver- Printer Installation software, select Download next to the full feature driver.
In case the full feature driver does not display, the printer does not support HP Scan software.
- Select Scan a Document or Photo.
- HP Scan opens.
- Choose one of the shortcuts that correspond with the file type and the resulting action you prefer.
- Modify any of the shortcut default settings on the right side of the window, if required.
- Choose Show scan preview or Show Viewer After Scan to preview and make additional edits to the scan prior to storing it.
- Select Advanced Settings or More to modify the settings such as quality, color and default scan destination folder.
- Select Scan.
- Your 123.HP.Com Ojprox551dw printer scans the file, and then a pre-screen of the scan displays in HP Scan.
- If necessary, double-click the thumbnail image of the scanned file, and then modify any additional settings.
- Select Save.
- The Save as the window gets displayed.
- Choose the folder you want to save the scan in, modify the File name if required, verify the file type in the Save as type menu, and then select Save.
- You can view your scan by opening the folder in which you saved the scan, and then double-click the file.
If you face any issues, contact our technical support team to resolve your problems and queries.
Print your desired documents or images from a Windows system and alter any related print job settings.
Printing your desired document
- Prior to printing your documents, you can modify the documents to alter the text font and size, click layout option, and you can also modify other appearance settings.
- Click File or the menu option, and then choose the Print option to open general print settings from the application in which you created the document.
- Choose Printer Properties, Properties or Preferences to view more layout options, quality and advanced print settings.
- The Printing Preferences or Document Properties window gets displayed.
- Alter the following layout and paper settings for your print job. Menu names and the available settings vary by your printer.
Portrait or Landscape orientation
Click Portrait for vertical printing or Landscape for horizontal printing.
Navigate to the Orientation menu on the Layout, Finishing or Features option.
Paper tray or source
- Choose the tray in which you want to position the paper, in case your 123.HP.Com Ojprox551dw printer has more than one tray.
- Move to Source or Paper source menu on the Paper or Quality or Feature option.
Affix the paper type you are using, such as plain, brochure or other specialty types, so that the printer properly prints on the paper.
Click Type, paper type or Media menu on the Paper or Quality or Features option.
- Select the paper size which you placed in the printer, such as letter or legal paper.
- Pick the Size or Paper Size menu in the Advance options or on the Features option.
According to your printer model, you can automatically print your desired documents on both sides of the paper, or configure the print job to manually flip the pages.
- Click on the Print on Both Sides option on the Layout, Finishing or Features option.
- The Printing Shortcut option might include shortcuts to print on both sides of the document.
- If you have further queries, ring us on our toll-free 1-888-249-8496 to rectify your queries.
HP Ojpro x551dw Fax Setup
Fax is used to send and receive a document quickly via a landline connection. Faxing uses a dedicated landline instead of an Internet connection, it is also more secure than email. Go through the document to configure your printer for faxing, send and receive your faxes, fix and troubleshoot your fax issues.
Configure your 123.HP.Com Ojprox551dw printer for faxing
Link the telephone cord and configure the fax connection.
Step 1 : Prerequisites
Prior to configuring your fax service, ensure that you have completed the following tasks:
- Acquire an active telephone landline.
- Setup the ink cartridge.
- Place plain, white paper in the printer input tray.
- Obtain the two-wire telephone cord and adapter that came along with your printer.
Step 2 : Arrange for the fax connection
Plug the telephone cord, configure your fax connection, and then choose your fax settings from the control panel of your printer. These procedures show how to configure faxing for a phone system using a voice or fax line and a telephone answering machine.
- Disconnect any telephone devices from the phone jack where you are linking the printer.
- Take away the plug from the port labeled 2-EXT on the printer.
- Disconnect your answering machine phone cord from the phone jack, and then link the answering machine phone cord to the port labeled 2-EXT on the printer.
- On the control panel of your printer, click Fax, click Fax Setup and then choose Preferences.
- Scroll down the display, and then click Rings to Answer.
- Pick a number that is two rings more than your answering machine setting.
- Click Done.
- Scroll down the display, and then ensure that Auto Answer is set to On. In case Auto Answer is off, turn it on.
Step 3 : Choose your basic fax settings
The general fax settings that come set on the printer might be all you need to send and receive faxes.
Configure the dial type
The dial type setting on the phone must correspond to the type of dialing used on the phone setting. In case the dial type does not match, the 123.HP.Com Ojprox551dw printer cannot call other fax systems.
- From the control panel of your printer, click Fax, and then select Setup.
- Click Preferences.
- Scroll down the display, and then click Dial Type.
- Click Tone or Pulse.
Configure the fax speed
Modify the fax speed to improve the communication speed between your HP Officejet Pro x551dw Setup printer and other fax machines.
- From the control panel of your HP Officejet Pro x551dw printer, choose Fax à Setup.
- Click Preferences.
- Swipe up on the display, and then click Speed.
- Click Slow, Medium or Fast according to your preferences.
For more information, you can consult our technical support team to resolve your queries.
Printer not detected during Network Driver Setup
Make use of the procedure to configure your printer for a Wi-Fi or wired network connection. In case the installer does not find the printer after choosing the connection type, one of the following errors might display:
- Printer not detected
- Unable to detect your printer
- No devices found
- The printer could not be detected on the wireless network
Step 1 : Reboot your system, printer and the router
- Unplug the power cord from the router.
- Power off your printer and the system.
- Re-plug the power cord to your router, and then wait for the Internet (activity) light to display a normal connection status.
- Power on your printer and the system.
- Try to install the 123.HP.Com Ojprox551dw printer driver and software again.
Step 2 : Verify the network and printer connection status
Ensure that your network is working properly and that the printer is ready for the network configuration.
- Verify that the printer is ready for the network configuration.
- If you use Wireless connection: Access the Wireless network or Settings menu on your printer to ensure that the wireless signal is powered on. Ensure that the light next to the Wireless icon is either on and stable, or flashing.
- If you use Wired Connection: Verify that the cable is linked to the printer Ethernet port and to an available port on the router. The green (link) light should be stable, and the orange (activity) light should flash when the cable is linked.
- Ensure that the printer is not linked to a guest or host network.
- In case you have a double band router, ensure it is set to the 2.4 GHz band. In case your router is set to the 5 GHz band, the printer cannot link to the network.
- On your system, view your network name and the password in the notification area.
- Try to install the HP printer driver and software again.
Step 3 : Link the printer to the network manually
Attempt to connect the printer to the network manually so that the HP installer can detect the printer. Employ Wireless Setup Wizard in case you have a touch or text-based control panel or try with Wi-Fi Protected Setup. Once you are done with the connection, try installing the 123.HP.Com Ojprox551dw printer driver and software again.
Step 4 : Enable the HP Print and Scan Doctor
HP Print and Scan Doctor is used to detect and rectify printing and scanning issues. Enable HP Print and Scan Doctor to quickly and automatically perform different troubleshooting procedures to recover from the issue.
- Open the HP Print and Scan Doctor tool, and then select Start on the welcome screen.
- In case your printer is not mentioned in the list, ensure that the printer is powered on and linked or select My printer is not listed, and then select Retry.
- Choose your printer, and then select Next.
- In case the connection issue is found, pick the method being used to link your printer, go through the instructions on the screen, and then select Retry.
Step 5 : Deactivate firewall software on the system temporarily
- Go back to the Print and Scan Doctor window, and then select Network.
- In the drop-down menu, select Troubleshooting Firewalls.
- Choose the name of any firewall software on the computer that has an Enabled status, and then select
- Try to install the printer driver and software again.
Step 6 : Uninstall the HP Printer driver and software
- In case your 123.HP.Com Ojprox551dw printer links to the system with a USB cable, unplug the cable from the printer.
- Find Windows for Programs and Features, and then select Programs and Features in the list of results.
- From the list of installed programs, select your printer name, and then select Uninstall or Yes.
- Go through the instructions, to complete the software removal.
- Reboot your system.
Step 7 : HP software reinstallation
- Power on the 123.HP.Com Ojprox551dw printer.
- In case your printer is linked to the computer via a USB cable, unplug the cable from the printer.
- Visit our website and then select Software and Driver Downloads.
- Select Download which is next to the full feature driver, or select Basic Drivers for other driver options.