How to Setup HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer?
The printer is designed for office use. It offers a high paper capacity. It includes the ability to Print, Scan, Copy and Fax. The 4.3-inch color touchscreen is easy to use and you can provide HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer commands faster and even customize it.
Unboxing HP Officejet Pro 8740 Setup
- Take away the printer, tape and packing materials from the box which came along with your printer.
- Hold the handles on either side of the printer and open the ink cartridge access door till it clicks into place to take off all tape and packing material from inside the printer
- Shut the cartridge access door.
- Connect the power cord to the back of your HP OJPro8740 Printer, and then plug the other end of the power cord into the socket and power on the printer.
- Open the input tray door and then place a stack of paper with proper width guides
- Open the ink cartridge access door and touch only the black plastic on the ink cartridge until it fixes into the correct place and then, close the ink cartridge access door.
- Once you are done with the installation of the ink cartridges, the HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer automatically prints an alignment page.
- To achieve the best quality, aligning of the ink cartridge is mandatory.
- Open the scanner lid.
- Place the alignment page with the print side downward on the scanner glass. Place it conferring to the engraved guides around the glass.
- Shut the scanner lid, and then tap on OK on the printer’s control panel.
- Position the ink cartridge into your corresponding printer.
- Install the printer software.
- Your Ojpro8740 printer hardware and printing software are now installed.
- Do not attempt to connect the printer to a system until it is instructed to do so in the printing software.
Wired Network Setup for Officejet Pro 8740 on Windows and Mac Devices
Configure a network connected printer with an Ethernet cable by installing the printer driver on a Windows and Mac system.
Step 1 : Prep for the driver installation and network connection
- Ensure that you have a network router, switch or hub with available Ethernet ports.
- Ensure that your system is linked to the router, switch or hub, in case it is not already linked.
- Acquire an Ethernet cable. Do not use a Standard telephone cable.
Step 2 : Link the printer to the network
- Power on the Ojpro8740 printer.
- Take away any Plug or protective cover from the Ethernet port on the printer.
- Plug the Ethernet cable to your HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer port, and then link the remaining end of the Ethernet cable to an available port on the network router, switch or hub.
Step 3: Software installation
Ensure that you install the HP OJPro8740 Printer driver to complete the network printer setup.
- Visit our website, enter your printer model, and then make use of the instructions to download the driver. According to the printer model, the guided driver installation application HP Easy Start might download.
- In case a driver or HP Easy Start downloads, make use of the instructions to open the downloaded file to start the setup. When it is instructed to select a connection type, click Wired Network.
- In case the download fails or your printer is not listed, follow the procedures to install a driver from our website.
- Go to our website and then select Software and Driver Downloads, enter your corresponding HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer model if required, and then verify that the operating system version selected is proper.
- Windows: Under Driver-Printer Installation Software, select Download next to the full feature printer driver, and then follow the instructions to use the guided HP Download and Install Assistant, or click Download only to store and then run the printer driver file from the system.
- Mac device: Under Driver Printer Installation Software, select Download next to HP Easy Start or the full feature printer driver, based on the option that displays, and then open the HP Easy Start file or the HP .dmg file in the Downloads folder to start the installation.
- Windows: When it is instructed by the installer to select a printer connection option, click Wired Network to continue with and complete the configuration.
- Windows: Try to Print, Scan or Fax, according to your printer functionality.
- Mac: When it is instructed by the installer, select Add Printer to create a print queue on the Mac device.
- The Add window gets displayed.
- Pick the name of your printer, select the Use or Print Using Click the name of your printer in the pop-up menu, and then select Add.
- Go back to the installer to complete the installation process.
How to Copy Documents on HP OJ PRO 8740 Printer?
Make use of your HP OJPro8740 Printer to produce copies of printed document and images.
Step 1: Place the original document or images
Insert the original document in the Automatic Document Feeder tray or on the scanner glass. Make use of the scanner to copy original images or to produce a two-sided copy.
- Switch on your HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer.
- Insert the original document or images:
- Using Automatic Document Feeder: Insert the document into the document feeder tray with the print side facing upward and such that the top edge goes into the tray first. Modify the width guides to fit the documents. The control panel displays the original loaded document.
- Make use of the Scanner glass: Position the original document with the print side downward on the scanner glass, place it according to the engraved guides around the glass, and then shut the scanner lid.
Step 2 : Procedure to Copy the document or images
You can use the Copy menu on the control panel of your Ojpro8740 printer to choose copy settings and then start the copy job.
- From the control panel of your printer.
- Click Document, ID Card or Photo.
- Choose the desired number of copies, or enter the required number of copies.
- Under Tray Selection, choose the tray and paper size.
- From two-sided, you can choose one or two-sided copying.
- Click Touch to Preview, and then click the preview to edit the photo, from the Edit screen, you can crop, resize and modify the contrast of the copy.
- Click Done to go back to the copy screen.
- Click the Settings icon, and then mention the desired advanced copy settings.
- Click Lighter or Darker, swipe the button to choose the darkness level, and then click Done.
- Click Quality to choose a specific quality level. Draft quickly makes a copy with less ink. Normal gives standard copy quality. Best offers a copy with finer details.
- Resize: Click Resize, and then click a preset. You can also click Custom, input a value between 25 and 400 percent to decrease or increase the copy, and then click Done.
- Click Enhancements to select Print or photo-specific.
- Click Binding Margin, and then click On to provide pages with margin shifted to the left side of the page.
- Save advanced settings: Click Save Current Settings to retain the advanced HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer settings after this copy job, and then click Save.
- Click Back to go back to the Copy.
- Click Start Black, Start Color or Start Copy to start the copy job.
Make use of the HP Scan and Capture Application
You can capture essential documents or images from your HP OJPro8740 Printer or the system camera using HP Scan and Capture, a free application for Windows 8 and 10 which is available from the Microsoft Store.
Setup and Scan with HP Scan and Capture
Install the HP Scan and Capture app from the Microsoft Store.
- Power on your printer.
- Position the file you want to scan on the scanner glass or place it into the automatic document feeder (ADF), if your printer has one.
- Look for Scan and Capture under Windows, and then select HP Scan and Capture in the available list of results.
- Choose the menu icon, and then click Settings.
- Choose Select Device, and then select your corresponding printer.
- Select Document Scan Options or Photo Scan Options to modify any settings, and then select the back arrow.
- Tap outside the Settings menu, and then select Capture Documents or Capture Photos.
- Once you are done with the Scan, select the Save.
The Save As window opens to store the file in the corresponding folder.
Scan using HP Scan software
You can start scan jobs from the system, modify scan quality settings, save the scan as PDF files and more. Two versions of HP Scan are available, based on when your HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer was released. Both offer similar functionality and scanning support.
- Position the file on the scanner glass, in the document feeder slot, or in the automatic document feeder, based on the printer type and features.
- Find your printer model.
- In case your printer is displayed, tap on the printer name in the list of results.
- In case the printer does not display, visit our website and select Software and Driver Downloads, and then enter your corresponding printer model number. Under the Driver-Printer Installation software, select Download next to the full feature driver.
In case the full feature driver does not display, the printer does not support HP Scan software.
- Select Scan a Document or Photo.
- HP Scan opens.
- Choose one of the shortcuts that correspond with the file type and the resulting action you prefer.
- Modify any of the shortcut default settings on the right side of the window, if required.
- Choose Show scan preview or Show Viewer After Scan to preview and make additional edits to the scan prior to storing it.
- Select Advanced Settings or More to modify the settings such as quality, color and default scan destination folder.
- Select Scan.
- Your HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer scans the file, and then a pre-screen of the scan displays in HP Scan.
- If necessary, double-click the thumbnail image of the scanned file, and then modify any additional settings.
- Select Save.
- The Save as the window gets displayed.
- Choose the folder you want to save the scan in, modify the File name if required, verify the file type in the Save as type menu, and then select Save.
- You can view your scan by opening the HP OJPro8740 Printer folder in which you saved the scan, and then double-click the file.
How to Prnt Documents on HP 8740 Printer?
Print your desired documents or images from a Windows system and alter any related print job settings.
Printing your desired document
- Prior to printing your documents, you can modify the documents to alter the text font and size, click layout option, and you can also modify other appearance settings.
- Click File or the menu option, and then choose the Print option to open general print settings from the application in which you created the document.
- Choose Printer Properties, Properties or Preferences to view more layout options, quality and advanced print settings.
- The Printing Preferences or Document Properties window gets displayed.
- Alter the following layout and paper settings for your print job. Menu names and the available settings vary by your printer.
Portrait or Landscape orientation
Click Portrait for vertical printing or Landscape for horizontal printing.
Navigate to the Orientation menu on the Layout, Finishing or Features option.
Paper tray or source.
- Choose the tray in which you want to position the paper, in case your Ojpro8740 printer has more than one tray.
- Move to Source or Paper source menu on the Paper or Quality or Feature option.
Affix the paper type you are using, such as plain, brochure or other specialty types, so that the HP OJPro8740 Printer properly prints on the paper.
Click Type, paper type or Media menu on the Paper or Quality or Features option.
- Select the paper size which you placed in the printer, such as a letter or legal paper.
- Pick the Size or Paper Size menu in the Advanced options or on the Features option.
How to Perform Duplex Printing on HP on OJPro8740 Printer?
According to your HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer model, you can automatically print your desired documents on both sides of the paper, or configure the print job to manually flip the pages.
- Click on the Print on Both Sides option on the Layout, Finishing or Features option.
- The Printing Shortcut option might include shortcuts to print on both sides of the document.
Fax Setup for HP OJPRO 8740 Printer
Fax is used to send and receive a document quickly via a landline connection. Faxing uses a dedicated landline instead of an Internet connection, it is also more secure than email. Go through the document to configure your HP OJPro8740 Printer for faxing, send and receive your faxes, fix and troubleshoot your fax issues.
Configure your Ojpro8740 printer for faxing
Link the telephone cord and configure the fax connection.
Step 1: Prerequisites
Prior to configuring your fax service, ensure that you have completed the following tasks:
- Acquire an active telephone landline.
- Setup the ink cartridge.
- Place plain, white paper in the printer input tray.
- Obtain the two-wire telephone cord and adapter that came along with your printer.
Step 2: Arrange for the fax connection
Plug the telephone cord, configure your fax connection, and then choose your fax settings from the control panel of your HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer. These procedures show how to configure faxing for a phone system using a voice or fax line and a telephone answering machine.
- Disconnect any telephone devices from the phone jack where you are linking the printer.
- Take away the plug from the port labeled 2-EXT on the printer.
- Disconnect your answering machine phone cord from the phone jack, and then link the answering machine phone cord to the port labeled 2-EXT on the printer.
- On the control panel of your printer, click Fax, click Fax Setup and then choose Preferences.
- Scroll down the display, and then click Rings to Answer.
- Pick a number that is two rings more than your answering machine setting.
- Click Done.
- Scroll down the display, and then ensure that Auto Answer is set to On. In case Auto Answer is off, turn it on.
Step 3: Choose your basic fax settings
The general fax settings that come set on the HP OJPro8740 Printer might be all you need to send and receive faxes.
Configure the dial type
The dial type setting on the phone must correspond to the type of dialing used on the phone setting. In case the dial type does not match, the HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer cannot call other fax systems.
- From the control panel of your printer, click Fax, and then select Setup.
- Click Preferences.
- Scroll down the display, and then click Dial Type.
- Click Tone or Pulse.
Configure the fax speed
Modify the fax speed to improve the communication speed between your HP Officejet Pro 8740 Setup printer and other fax machines.
- From the control panel of your printer, choose Fax à Setup.
- Click Preferences.
- Swipe up on the display, and then click Speed.
- Click Slow, Medium or Fast according to your preferences.
Troubleshooting HP 8740 for Wired Network Connection
Printer not detected during Network Driver Setup
Make use of the procedure to configure your printer for a Wi-Fi or wired network connection. In case the HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer installer does not find the printer after choosing the connection type, one of the following errors might display.
- Printer not detected
- Unable to detect your printer
- No devices found
- The printer could not be detected on the wireless network
Step 1: Reboot your system, printer and the router
- Unplug the power cord from the router.
- Power off your printer and the system.
- Re-plug the power cord to your router, and then wait for the Internet (activity) light to display a normal connection status.
- Power on your HP OJPro8740 Printer and the system.
- Try to install the Ojpro8740 printer driver and software again.
Step 2: Verify the network and printer connection status
Ensure that your network is working properly and that the printer is ready for the network configuration.
- Verify that the printer is ready for the network configuration.
- If you use Wireless connection: Access the Wireless network or Settings menu on your printer to ensure that the wireless signal is powered on. Ensure that the light next to the Wireless icon is either on and stable, or flashing.
- If you use Wired Connection: Verify that the cable is linked to the printer Ethernet port and to an available port on the router. The green (link) light should be stable, and the orange (activity) light should flash when the cable is linked.
- Ensure that the printer is not linked to a guest or host network.
- In case you have a double band router, ensure it is set to the 2.4 GHz band. In case your router is set to the 5 GHz band, the printer cannot link to the network.
- On your system, view your network name and the password in the notification area.
- Try to install the HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer driver and software again.
Step 3: Link the printer to the network manually
Attempt to connect the printer to the network manually so that the HP installer can detect the printer. Employ Wireless Setup Wizard in case you have a touch or text-based control panel or try with Wi-Fi Protected Setup. Once you are done with the connection, try installing the Ojpro8740 printer driver and software again.
Step 4: Enable the HP Print and Scan Doctor
HP Print and Scan Doctor are used to detect and rectify printing and scanning issues. Enable HP Print and Scan Doctor to quickly and automatically perform different troubleshooting procedures to recover from the issue.
- Open the HP Print and Scan Doctor tool, and then select Start on the welcome screen.
- In case your printer is not mentioned in the list, ensure that the printer is powered on and linked or select My printer is not listed, and then select Retry.
- Choose your printer, and then select Next.
- In case the connection issue is found, pick the method being used to link your HP OJPro8740 Printer, go through the instructions on the screen, and then select Retry.
Step 5: Deactivate firewall software on the system temporarily
- Go back to the Print and Scan Doctor window, and then select Network.
- In the drop-down menu, select Troubleshooting Firewalls.
- Choose the name of any firewall software on the computer that has an Enabled status, and then select
- Try to install the printer driver and software again.
Step 6: Uninstall the HP Printer driver and software
- In case your Ojpro8740 printer links to the system with a USB cable, unplug the cable from the printer.
- Find Windows for Programs and Features, and then select Programs and Features in the list of results.
- From the list of installed programs, select your printer name, and then select Uninstall or Yes.
- Go through the instructions, to complete the software removal.
- Reboot your system.
Step 7: HP software reinstallation
- Power on the HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer.
- In case your printer is linked to the computer via a USB cable, unplug the cable from the printer.
- Visit our website and then select Software and Driver Downloads.
- Select Download which is next to the full feature driver, or select Basic Drivers for other driver options.